Monthly Review - September 2026

September

Although we only moved in on September 7th, this month has been a very productive first month! 77 species of bird so far and the best find was definitely an adult Sabine's Gull off Rosemullion on the 10th. The supporting cast was not bad though and included Osprey, Sooty Shearwater, Great Skua, Arctic Skua, Chough, Tree Pipit, Crossbill, Snipe, Wheatear, Sand Martin, Whimbrel, and Manx Shearwater.

Vismigging from the obs (our house) has been the most useful technique this month, and has produced some pretty decent totals so far, I am excited to see what the later autumn will bring; hopefully thrushes, finches, and some other wintery treats!
I am missing quite a few common species that I suspect breed on the recording area, so I do plan to get out and do some more fieldwork, but October should definitely be another vismig-heavy month. I am hoping though that with the winter coming on some divers, grebes, and other seabirds start arriving. I am yet to see a grebe on the recording area!

Passage Migrant/Vagrant tally

755 Meadow Pipit
295 Linnet
252 House Martin
169 Swallow
76 Woodpigeon
66 Greenfinch
56 Siskin
54 Pied Wagtail
21 Grey Wagtail
16 Chiffchaff
3 Grey Heron
2 Wheatear
2 Tree Pipit
2 Sand Martin
1 Osprey
1 Snipe
1 Stock Dove
1 Chough
1 Swift
1 Firecrest
1 Crossbill
-
670 Gannet
33 Kittiwake
30+ Mediterranean Gull
20 auk sp. (prob. all Guillemot)
15 Manx Shearwater
4 Great Skua
1 Arctic Skua
1 Sooty Shearwater
1 Whimbrel
1 Sabine's Gull
+
1 Clouded Yellow
3 Rush Veneer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28th September

2nd-3rd October